In December, 1945, the Meyer Ceco Foundation was established in Cicero, Illinois. The Foundation was originally intended as a way for both the Meyer family and the Ceco Corporation, founded by C. Louis Meyer, to give back to the communities in which the company had regional offices.
After a merger with H. H. Robertson in 1991, the family elected to continue the philanthropic endeavors as a private family foundation. It was renamed The Meyer Family Foundation, and the Board of Directors included family members, Heidi Hall-Jones, Terry (C. Foster) Brown, along with Ned A. Ochiltree, Jr.
In 1996, the foundation changed its name to the C. Louis Meyer Foundation to better honor its founder. The Golden Pearl Foundation was created in 2004 as an offshoot of the C. Louis Meyer Family Foundation. The philanthropic focus of the Golden Pearl Foundation is to provide support to organizations involving the youth, the environment, and the arts.